Kissimmee, FL–June 15, 2015- The USSSA Florida Pride will play a two game series against the Dallas Charge on June 15th and 16th at the University of Missouri. This series marks the return of former Missouri All-American and current Pride pitcher Chelsea Thomas. The two game series will be played at University Field at 8:05 PM each night.
Chelsea Thomas returns to Columbia after rewriting the record books for the Tigers. The third year pro finished her college career in 2013 as Missouri’s all-time wins and strikeout leader. The former Big 12 and SEC Pitcher of the Year helped the Tigers earn two trips to the Women’s College World Series (WCWS). Thomas, who originally hails from Pleasantville, Iowa, is excited about her return to her alma mater.
“I’m excited to return to University Field with the Pride this summer. I have so many amazing memories in that circle and I can’t wait to play on my ‘home’ field again! The outpouring of support I still have from my Mizzou family is incredible and I can’t wait to see them in the stands cheering on the USSSA Pride,” said Thomas.
Prior to the Columbia series, the Pride and Charge played a two-game series in Kansas City at Community America Ballpark on June 11th and 12th. The Pride currently has a winning record of 5-1.
For tickets to the series, visit www.dev.usssapride.com or purchase tickets at the gate at University Field. Additionally, you can watch both games by tuning into ESPN3 or the live stream at http://www.usssalive.com/espn3.aspx
Pride Players to Watch:
– Chelsea Thomas returns to Columbia after rewriting the record books as a Mizzou Tiger. She was the First player in Mizzou history to be named a three-time, First Team All-American. The third year pro finished her career in 2013 as Missouri’s all-time wins (111-31) and strikeout leader. The former Big 12 and SEC Pitcher of the Year helped the Tigers earn two trips to the Women’s College World Series (WCWS).
– Megan Wiggins was the 2013 NPF Player of the Year and Mizuno Player of the Year. She is a two-time Worth Homerun Champion (2012, 2013) and was the 2013 Co-Offensive Player of the Year (shared with current teammate GiOnna DiSalvatore). In 2014, Megan tied for second in the NPF with 9 homeruns, and was sixth in the NPF with 27 RBIs.The fourth year NPF veteran brings one of the most powerful bats in the country, speed, and a strong defensive presence to the Pride lineup.
Charge Players to Watch:
– Lauren Haeger is the first player in Florida history to be named USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year (2015). She ended the regular season for the Florida Gators with a career 317 strikeouts in 351 innings pitched. The stats speak for themselves when they read that Lauren Haeger and Babe Ruth are the only two players in Division I softball, baseball, or MLB history to have over 70 wins as a pitcher and 70 homeruns at the plate.
– Kaitlyn Richardson is a two-time NFCA All-American, three-time All-Region player and three-time All Big Ten player. She finished the 2015 season at the University of Minnesota leading the Gophers in on-base percentage (.484) and fielding percentage (1.000). The rookie’s versatility and consistent lefty bat are sure to make an impact in the Charge’s lineup this season.
– This series marks the first time the Pride has ever played at University Field.
– Both Cat Osterman and Chelsea Thomas completed their Master’s degrees at the University of Missouri.
For all information about the USSSA Pride and the 2015 National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) season, visit the team website www.dev.usssapride.com and follow the Pride all season long on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
About USSSA Florida Pride:
The USSSA Florida Pride is a professional franchise in the National Pro Fastpitch League that is owned and operated by USSSA. The amateur organization of USSSA has multi-sport coverage and encompasses teams and players from the United States and abroad.
National Pro Fastpitch is headquartered in Nashville, TN. The league, created to give elite female fastpitch players the opportunity to pursue a professional career in their chosen sport, has operated since 1997 under the names of Women’s Pro Fastpitch (WPF) and Women’s Pro Softball League (WPSL). NPF is the Official Development Partner of Major League Baseball in the category of women’s fastpitch softball since 2002.
USSSA is headquartered in Osceola County, Florida. USSSA is the World’s largest Multi-sport Athletic Organization. Founded in 1968, USSSA has grown to over 3.7 million participants, competing in 13 nationally sanctioned sports including Baseball, Fastpitch, Slow Pitch, Karate, Basketball, Soccer and more! For more information on USSSA and to register your team visit USSSA.com. Also be sure to visit USSSAToday.com for the latest USSSA News!